Thursday, February 28, 2008

Coconut Macaroon

Macaron or Macaroon?So confuse!Coconut macaroon is a type of macaroon most commonly found in the US.They tend to be closer to a soft cookie than their meringue cousins the German style Almond macaroon.Coconut macaroons are made with coconut and sweetened condensed milk.These are more of a meringue cookie.

I made a meringue shell almost,and the inside is a chewy coconut macaroon yesterday.I got the recipe from Bigboysoven where he had specific in every detail on the method.Before I got this result,I already wasted six egg whites.These batch was the third batch.I was actually trying to make almond chocolate macaroon on the first two bacth.Something went wrong,and they never really worked as a meringue,so I threw them out and started over with fresh ones.So the last one I was out of almond flour and therefore I used dessicated coconut.The kids don't really like it because they found it's too sweet.

I don't know whether I can cut down the sugar measurement and still can get the nice shape.To me these are so good but as you can see the colour is not chocolate enough.This recipe came together perfectly the third time.Now I know what the stiffness look like.It was beautiful and popped but I wasn't sure the coconut macaroon has a crack look on it or not.And I still don't developed the feet.Some people says let it sit 2 to 4 hours to develop the skin.I don't know whether this is true but some says you don't have to and you will still get the result.The outside texture is a crisp meringue shell almost, and the inside is a chewy coconut macaroon.I love it! Need to add more cocoa powder to get the nice colour and pressing down a bit to get a nice shape.

No comments: